Monday, February 26, 2007

Blogging as real community

Today I'm going to get personal. At connexions weblog, Richard Hall looks at whether or not the web offers true community among Christians. Richard's post, and the comments that follow, are thought provoking. And because Christian community is a vital part of transformation, I'd like to share my own experiences by posting the comments I made on Richard's blog:
In my life, the community formed from weblog connections has been enocuraging and real. While I was taking Claymore blasts from members of my own congregation, those I'd met through blogging were encouragomg me not only through blog posts and comments, but in private e-mails and face-to-face interaction.

My wife and I have sat down to meals with the families of two men I met through blogging. Not only that, but four bloggers have put their money where their keyboards are and sent me dollars when my church wasn't able to continue paying my full salary. Two of these men have continued to send me money while I'm between jobs. I'm not going to be gauche and name them, but they are prominent bloggers folks have heard of.

Christians who blog have been for me a community in a very real sense. Even though we're usually separated by distance, words connect us as much as they did, say, Paul and the Romans.

4 Comments:

Blogger K. Rex Butts said...

Though it is not a blog per se, my wife has formed some very good relationships with other mothers of disceased children on a chat forum for child-loss. It seems that it depends on who the blogger or chat person is.

3:04 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Amen, Rex. Good to hear from you, and glad to hear your wife has formed relationships with those who have also lost children. Peace.

3:56 PM, February 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more Milton.

The blogosphere does not replace the real world (yet) but it certainly has potential that we have only begun to explore. Online relationships are boundaried in particular ways, however depending on the circumstances, they can facilitate opportunities for overcoming boundaries (time, space, cost, etc.) both between individuals as well as between groups.

At first, I held online relationships at a distance, almost like they were not genuine. But more and more, I see actual friendships developing and often find them including a broad set of the "traditionally held" definitions of authentic relationships including praying for one another, regular contact, demonstration of a mutual sense of respect, encouragement, etc.

It's been nothing but a pleasant confirmation to find that the real world is becoming more virtual and the virtual world is becoming more real.

10:52 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Cynthia. Given your ministry emphasis in digital interaction, I'm glad to get some sense of your desire to integrate real relationship with virtual interaction.

7:02 AM, February 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home