Wednesday, May 16, 2007

"Loss of wonder is a sin"

I wish I saw more wonder in American Christians. I suspect that many of us are too caught up in living our best life now to wonder at the way the Wood Pewee pirouettes in space to outmaneuver a zigzagging moth. Or how the craters on the moon form patterns. Or how the brook teems with tadpoles, mayflies, and tiny fish. What are the names of those fish? Does it matter?

I think it matters. I think we’ve lost something in the last hundred years in this country. Our wonder’s fled. I think it’s one reason why so many people take psychoactive drugs. Strip away the wonder and the world turns frightening, cold, and distant. It becomes the enemy. Life takes on a winner-take-all mentality where some win and others lose, and God help us if we’re not one of the winners.

3 Comments:

Blogger dle said...

Milton, thanks for the link back to my post on wonder at Cerulean Sanctum. I believe this to be a very important issue for the Church in days to come. In some ways, I see a dividing line forming between churches that cultivate wonder and those who are allied against it.

10:23 AM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You may be right about a dividing line forming. On the other hand, in some ways that line may already have been in place for quite a while. Peace.

11:24 AM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Even So... said...

Cultivating wonder is important indeed...

9:07 AM, May 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home