Monday, May 14, 2007

Youth group as animal feeder

Tantalizing if True has hit one out of the park with an essay about my generation and the never-ending youth group. This one has so much punch, that I'm reprinting the whole thing here:
The typical American youth ministry of the baby boom generation resembled an animal feeder (or maybe an animal trap). It was attractive as long as the bait didn’t run out. It was assumed that youth wouldn’t follow God without bribery, and even then, that they wouldn’t follow God very far. In a youth-obsessed, youth-glorifying society, the youth ministry was a holding tank for large children, with the vague hope that they would grow up someday, probably, inexplicably. But not now.

The lesson of recent history, however, have shown that baby boomers do not necessarily grow up. They may become politicians or even parents, but that doesn’t mean they become disciples. After being taught to live for themselves, to give God his fair share, and to keep the rest, they continue to follow the teachings of their youth. The church has become an endless youth group.
Ouch.

4 Comments:

Blogger mdmcginn said...

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't sure how many people appreciated what I write. I added you to my blogroll because you seem to appreciate it.

11:48 AM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome. And thanks for adding TS to your blogroll. Tantalizing if True is on my blogroll now, too. I've been reading your weblog for a couple of weeks now and like what I've seen. Glad to find your work.

1:15 PM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger dle said...

I dunno. I don’t see it that way. My own church doesn’t function like this, nor any of the others I’ve been a part of over the years. I worked in youth ministry and camping ministry, so I know what they’re like. There may be some vestiges of them in some churches, but I simply don’t see the 1:1 correspondence in the majority of American churches.

2:15 PM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Good to hear it. I have to say my experience has been more like what Michael describes. Let's hope there are more like you've experienced. Peace.

4:24 PM, May 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home