Wednesday, June 06, 2007

"Anointing" in preaching

Aside from reference to OT prophets and priests, the term "anointing" is not one I use very often. But Phil McAlmond has piqued my interest in his writing about the place of anointing in preaching:
When preparing to preach or teach, the question that I ask, isn’t what do I need to preach or what can I preach or what do I want to preach, etc. No, I ask, “Lord Jesus, what is it that you are preaching or that you are teaching, or in other words, what is it that you are saying, to me”? I need to include myself as one of the needy recipients of God’s Now Word. Therefore in order for me to declare prophetically that which He is speaking, I need to hear clearly what it is that He is saying to me/us, now. I dare not presume upon this vital question with some sort of simplistic or presumptuous answer. No, I need to seek Him, wait upon Him, hear Him and then declare what I have seen and heard or even am seeing and hearing, in the nowness of His presence (1 Jn 1:3).
And this:
Preaching isn’t about what we want said or accomplished. Preaching is first, last and always about what the Lord Jesus is saying in, to and through us.
Sounds good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home