Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Knowing the real enemy

Essays like this one remind me of why Bob at In the Clearing is one of my favorite bloggers:
I don't want to break anyone's heart, but I hope you all know you're probably going to die someday.

I recently heard a Christian friend of mine say, "I just don't understand how God can allow so-and-so to get cancer." I wanted to say, do you really think certain people should be immune from the normal frailties of the flesh? Or that being a believer should mean not getting cancer, heart disease, MS, etc.? The real question is, why shouldn't he or she get cancer? Or you? Or me? Or anyone else?

Where did we get this idea that it should be disturbing when a wonderful Christian believer gets sick or dies like everyone else in the history of the human race (with a couple of Biblical exceptions)?

I think I know where we get it. Three kinds of teaching in the church: Poor teaching. Lousy teaching. And downright creepy teaching.
Yep. I highly recommend reading Bob's example of downright excellent teaching.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one is still sinking in...

10:34 AM, December 17, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad to hear it.

11:22 AM, December 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home