Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Benefits of Greek study

Prof. Bill Mounce has written a very accessible little essay that illustrates the value of persevering in the study of NT Greek. Here's a sample:
The point is this: languages are not codes. You can’t go neatly from one into the other. Words don’t have exactly the same meanings, and neither do grammatical constructions. All translation is both science and art. Much of the science is done in first year Greek, but the "art" part requires at least second year Greek.

So hang in there. Keep taking Greek classes as you are able, keep reading a verse a day in Greek, and force yourself to use the better commentaries that require more technical knowledge. The feel for the language will come.
I found the essay encouraging.

4 Comments:

Blogger smijer said...

Would you happen to know any good resources for a poverty-stricken amateur who wished to self-teach New Testament Greek - starting from scratch?

11:11 AM, March 10, 2009  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I think I might. I'll post a few sites here directly.

8:43 AM, March 11, 2009  
Blogger smijer said...

Thanks very much - I don't see your list posted here in the comments, but blogger forwarded it to my e-mail, so I have it... I guess it's in a moderation cue or something. That's a great list! I appreciate the help very much!

8:46 AM, March 11, 2009  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome. The list doesn't appear here in the comments section because I noticed an error and so deleted it to try again. When I tried to paste it back into a new comment box, I found I had lost it. So I went ahead and posted it as a new, stand-alone entry. May you be blessed in your studies.

8:53 AM, March 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home