Saturday, March 26, 2005

Going along to get along?

I've debated with myself whether or not I should be spending words here crying out against the efforts to kill Terri Schiavo. The case is a divisive issue even among Christians, and I've tried to make this weblog a forum for helping all Christians be transformed into the image of Christ, despite political or doctrinal differences. Already my stance has put me at odds with fellow Christians I otherwise admire and respect deeply. Should I have simply kept quiet on this issue? I found my answer, ironically, in an article on a different subject, in the words of a man with whom I often disagree:
I phoned my life-long colleague and friend, recently. “Why do I do it?” I asked the person on the other end of the telephone line, hundreds of miles away.

“It’s the way it is for some of us. If we are silent, it’s as if the very stones will cry out,” my friend responded.
I don't believe the stones will cry out about all the issues C. Joseph Sprague raises in his article, but he is onto something here:
The problem with the progressive wing of today’s Church is not that the devil makes us do bad things - “smoke, drink, chew or go with boys/girls who do” - but that we are so damnably quiet, so status quo subservient in our niceness, that we ignore the Spirit’s leading and play patsy with the most seductive temptation of all: namely, to go along in order to get along, which is natural for us and all human beings, given the innate hunger for bread, power and entitlement all of us harbor.
I'm reminded of the prophet Isaiah, who called out to God's people in evil times: "Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; defend the fatherless, plead for the widow" (Is. 1:16, 17).

(Thanks to Chin Weng Kit at Invisible Footprints for pointing to this article and for his own comments.)

4 Comments:

Blogger kItttttt said...

hi there milton, it's always nice to read blogs about God.. i nvr seem to tire from reading them and it has completely taken over all the blogs that i do read..

rather than replying to your comment in my blog i decided to read ur posts and post my own comment here.

i'm not entirely familiar with the whole terri schiavo case but i have been seeing it on blogs everywhere.. didnt really dig it much but i agree that it can cause a great divide even within our own Christian circles.

the whole thing about such things is that it is arbitrary which stance we are to take, since any stance can have a full backing of "valid" reasoning through our own comprehension of this world.

i believe that we should all be united together tied by the strings of the pages in the Bible. I cannot foresee any other way from which the church would disintergrate other than the bickering among ourselves that we engage in, which bears fruits of anger and resentment but blinded by our attempts at searching for what is right and the truth.

But where does truth lie? it's inevitable that we must debate issues like this, or things like stem cell research. The times now would mark divides in religion become more apparent, the notion that religion is a bothersome hindrance to the progression of mankind, and the love and peace with which Satan masquerades himself and his hidden agenda will loom upon this world with delight and ascend upon our futile minds.

12:31 PM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger John said...

Hi Milton, great post, I appreciate your blog. My mind was made up during my reading time...

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."Matt 10:42

I think that about summed it up for me. Happy Easter!
GBYAY

12:42 PM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Kit, for visiting, and for pointing me to the article I quoted. Thanks, too, for your thoughtful comments. Peace.

4:55 PM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, John, for visiting and for encouraging. BTW, I like the new picture on your blog! GBYAY.

4:55 PM, March 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home