Thursday, March 24, 2005

Another Eugene Peterson inteview

This interview is with Eugene Peterson's publisher. At one point, Peterson explains the difference between the spirituality he writes about and the kind "prevalent in mainstream culture":
I am trying to recover a respect for the life of the Spirit that is revealed in Jesus and the Scriptures in contrast to a life that is defined by consumption and achievement, competition and psychological profiling. I am trying to develop an imagination that is immersed in the operations of the Trinity so that I will not be constantly seduced into thinking that spirituality is a way of managing my own life and the lives of others, my life with me in charge with an occasional assist from the Spirit. I am trying to practice a way of language that is personal, particular, relational, a language of poetry and parable and metaphor, a language that welcomes mystery and counters the bullying, propagandizing, sloganeering, cliched and abstracted use of language that dominates our schools, our workplaces, our media, and, sadly, our churches.
Wow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MILTON STANLEY


My name is Chris Peterman

I tried to find your EMAIL ADDY but could not...My father, Rusty, suffered a stroke this past week. I noticed you visit his blog and thought we could depend on you for your prayers. Dad should be back again soon....Thank you for your time.

Chris Peterman


goodwooter@hotmail.com

12:15 AM, March 25, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Chris. I've sent you an e-mail and will be posting about you father at my blog.

9:41 AM, March 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home