Saturday, January 29, 2005

Evangelical Blog Awards

Transforming Sermons has been nominated in the Best Evangelical Blog-Pastor category for Evangelical Underground's First Annual Evangelical Blog Awards. It's great to be in the competition (even if I am up against folks like Mark D. Roberts and Jollyblogger).

By way of disclaimer, I want to say that TS is intended to be evangelical only in the generic sense (little "e")---in fostering evangelism, the spread of the good news of Jesus Christ. To that end, what you'll find posted here is meant to transcend sectarian labels. The goal is to encourage all Christians of whatever bent to proclaim the Good News with the power of the Holy Spirit. It's kind of like what Buzz Trexler describes at The Pastor's Buzz:

In short, I embrace the mysticism of Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox, the freedom of the Spirit with Pentecostalism, the balance of United Methodism, the evangelism of Conservative Protestants, and the feet-on-the-ground discipleship of Liberal Protestants.

With that in mind, there are several of you whose blogs I would love to nominate---but only if you're willing to have your work considered an "Evangelical" blog. Let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Buzz Trexler said...

Milton:

In reading McLaren's "Generous Orthodoxy," I've decided that the downstyle evangelical fits my theology well, so you could say I stand with you, too, in that regard.

Incidentally, when I noted that Chesterton's "Orthdoxy" was a "slow read," please do not misunderstand me. I still relish the book and a have a file in my background folder entitled "Orthodoxy Highlights" containing the gems I mined from that work. It's just that his material, like some of Francis Schaeffer's,can force you to reread a paragraph to ensure you understood what he was saying.

I think I may post a few of Chesterton's gems on The Pastor's Buzz just for kicks. For instance, Chesterton on the "child-likeness of God":

"A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence, of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them."

Isn't that priceless!

You know, since all things were created by the Son in the beginning, imagine the Father rejoicing in the Son's work: "Son, let me see you do that again!"

Grace and peace, my brother.
Buzz

10:33 PM, January 29, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I see your point, Buzz. And I certainly do agree with you on this part regarding GK: "It's just that his material, like some of Francis Schaeffer's,can force you to reread a paragraph to ensure you understood what he was saying."

10:40 PM, January 29, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

BTW, Buzz, I read this on your comment:

"I've decided that the downstyle evangelical fits my theology well"

Does that mean you'd accept a nomination? ;-)

10:41 PM, January 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home