Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The need to keep preaching

Lately I've suffered such a blow in my ministry that I've given thought to going back into another line of work. But I won't. I really think if I couldn't tell the good news of Jesus Christ I would just die--maybe shrivel up, maybe blow up from trying to hold it all in. I can relate to the words of Jeremiah, for whom the Word of the Lord was a fire in the bones (Jer. 20:9), or to Paul, who said, "Woe to me if I don't preach the gospel" (1 Cor. 9:16). If those sentiments in my own heart weren't enough, I found more reason to keep preaching today in Ezekiel 33:6:

"But if the watchman sees the sword come, and doesn't blow the trumpet, and the people aren't warned, and the sword comes and takes anyone from among them--he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand."

Years ago I heard a veteran country preacher say that as a young man he decided if he couldn't find anyone to listen to his preaching, he'd go down to the creek and preach to the minnows and salamanders. At the time I had no idea what he was talking about. Well--how things do change.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason Retherford said...

Milton,

I understand that fire. There have been a few times where I have pondered leaving youth ministry, but then thi thought haunts me, "then what am I going to do?" There isn't any thing else I want to do then to work with teens, sharing the hope and awe of Jesus Christ.

Hang in there my brother, and know that I have talked to our Father this morning on your behalf.

9:46 AM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Debra said...

Hi Milton... Thanks for your comment this morning at my blog! It's always good hearing from you. I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced a blow to your ministry--I've experienced those, too, and I think the main test is not to give up. But the other test is usually 'maybe God is wanting me to tweak something a bit? Maybe He's wanting to humble me more so that He can take me in a new and even more exciting direction?' And well, I know you know all that, but I did want to encourage you that this just might be a really good thing--only in a really bad disguise. So hang in there! God bless... Debra

9:48 AM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thank you, Jason, for your prayers, and thank you, Debra, for your kind words. Peace.

10:22 AM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am relatively new to the preaching world, only becoming ordained last year.

But in that short time I've had "dry spells" in my walk with God, where I wonder where he is. But I've discovered a deep dive into the Word, extra prayer time or fasting usually does the trick.

In the end, it's usually a problem of me listening to God and not talking so much. :)

10:47 AM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts, Eric.

11:18 AM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger John said...

Milton,
In all my experience (I am now in my 12th Church), I have found that when the enemy strikes a blow against you, Jesus strikes a greater blow to the enemy and raises you up to greater things! I Jn 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. Be encouraged my dear brother for you are an encourager!
God bless you and yours,
John

3:05 PM, February 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:18 PM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, John. I believe you. It's kind of like hard exercising, I think: we know it makes us stronger, but boy, does it hurt while we're doing it! Peace.

3:48 PM, February 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home