Thursday, April 07, 2005

Questions on the kamikaze swine

New Testament scholar Conrad Gempf has a way of asking fresh questions of familiar biblical passages. He's done it again today in his online class notes on the Gerasene demoniac (Mark 5:1-20). In particular, Conrad wonders about the baffling behavior of the demons in this story:
Yeah, I've read the commentaries and heard the explanations. I can't say that any of them really impress me. And, as I said, that's probably just as well. A Scripture that is really a glimpse into realities which are too large for me should contain stuff like this . . . I fully expect to be baffled no matter how long I study it, but when we get to heaven to say "Ah, of course, that's what was going on there."
That's a good reminder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home