Saturday, June 25, 2005

Going deeper through expository preaching

Stronger Church has a strong post today on the value of preaching the biblical text as opposed to topics. A sample:

Some object to expository preaching because it (in their minds) fails to address issues that people struggle with today. I would argue against that. In the last year I have been able to deal with a variety of issues that people struggle with. But I've done so as they are introduced in the text. Some object that the "seeker" might be turned off to what seems impractical. But that betrays a view of our role as preachers that is not biblically accurate. I'm the messenger. God delivers the message. If I stick to popular topics, I'll merely perpetuate the kind of shallow Christianity that we currently have. We've had people come, listen and stay because of the teaching. Others may not. So be it.

Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Bogert said...

Thanks, Milton!

6:54 AM, June 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, Peter. Thanks for the outstanding series. Peace.

4:03 PM, June 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home