Saturday, June 11, 2005

Is theology our god?

Tim Challies considers: at what point does theology become idolatry? He comes to several conclusions, including this one:

Perhaps we can best determine intent by looking at the results of our study of God. What is the result of your study? When you study theology are you brought to your knees in awe at the power and holiness of God? Do you feel righteous indignation at those who speak falsehood in the name of God? Or do you feel pride in your knowledge? Do you find yourself thinking about who you are going to use your newfound theology against, or do you find yourself anxious to turn that knowledge into practice in your own life? Are you seeking to apply theology to your life or to the lives of others?

As with all of Tim's articles, it's well written, and I recommend it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Self said...

It's funny. I began studying systematic theology because I realized I really didn't know why I believed what I believe. The more I study, the more I realize my previous simple answers best communicate the most complext underpinnings of my faith. It's sort of like setting out to compose the next great worship song and coming up with "Jesus Loves Me."

5:16 AM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Amen, Matt. I'm reminded of Karl Barth, one of the 20th century's most profound theologians. As an old man, he was reportedly asked how best to summarize his faith, and is said to have responded by singing the first birth of "Jesus Loves Me." That sums it up as far as I'm concerned! Peace.

2:51 PM, June 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home