Friday, June 17, 2005

Responding to the book meme

The Lord My Dad's Soldado De Oracion has tagged me on the book meme. I'm honored, and I hope you'll forgive me for taking the blog a little off-topic with this post.

Total number of books I've owned ever: To borrow an abbreviation from ninth grade biology lab: TNC (too numerous to count)

Last book I bought: The Streets of Lexington by Winifred Hadsel (Lexington, VA: Rockbridge County Historical Society, 1985). Back home in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, I worked as a geographic historian with a special interest in the history of roads (go ahead, laugh). Here in Lexington somebody has actually written a book about the history of the town's streets. Woo-hoo!

Last book I read: Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman (I don't know the rules; can a meme have hyperlinks?). Dr. Seligman's book was recommended by Jollyblogger's David Wayne, and now that I'm halfway through it, I have hope that I will one day finish the whole thing.

Five books that mean a lot to me:
1. The Bible.
2. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. When I was eleven, it introduced me to the great struggle of good against evil in Middle Earth. At a time when I was rejecting the church as I perceived it, the trilogy helped me to devote my heart to goodness, in whatever form it took.
3. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric (third edition) by Howard Kahane. When I was sixteen years old this book gave me the comfort of knowing I was not the only person troubled by insincere language, and that just about every rhetorical flaw I could think of already had a name.
4. The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. When I was a young Christian struggling with the intellectual foundations of the faith, the scene of Puddleglum in front of the witch's fireplace stirred my heart like no other in all literature, before or since.
5. Preacher by Milton Stanley. I poured my heart into this novel, and I really love the protagonist, Jason Sain. The fact that so few people have read his story make me love him even more.

This was fun, but now I don't know what to do. The five-more routine reminds me of a chain letter. Plus this thing's been going so long, I don't remember who's already done it. I think I'll tag two guys whose work I really like when they actually get around to posting: Floydville and The Pastor's Buzz. The other three--well, I don't want to leave anyone out, so please tell me if you want to be tagged. You won't be egotistical for asking. Update: I've also tagged Unveiled Face (one of the best-named Christian blogs, BTW), and Gad(d)about (which, although I've been reading it regularly for months, somehow eluded my blogroll till today).

10 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Self said...

I'm hoping no one tags me anytime soon. I need time to find a qualified good read to replace the comic book as the last book I read.

1:14 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Mick Porter said...

Hi Milton,
All sounds good - I'm open for tagging :)

6:35 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You got it, Nick. You too, Matt. Take your time. Peace.

7:01 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

In other words, consider yourselves tagged, guys.

7:02 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Matthew Self said...

This is a curse that has followed me from my childhood. No matter how much I tried to avoid my teacher calling on me, I got called. The more I tried to become invisible, the more visible I became. I tried to head it off with a confession this time around (just in case, because there are many others with a much better book collection), and I still find myself having to answer questions that are likely to shame me. *sigh* I'll give it a shot. =)

10:27 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger John said...

Milton! You have done it again! Amazed me! A real live author! This is a must read! :) Great post!

GBYAY

10:49 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, John, for your kind words.

2:39 PM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Well, I sure didn't want to shame you, Matt. It's just that when I say, "Let me know if you want to be tagged," and you reply like you did, I just figured you're being coy. Please don't feel obligated. Peace.

2:42 PM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Mick, my son pointed out that I accidently spelled your name with an N. I do know better. Sorry, dude.

2:43 PM, June 19, 2005  
Blogger Mick Porter said...

Hi Milton,

I finally got to posting my contribution to this:
http://unveiledface.blogspot.com/2005/06/book-meme.html

Cheers,
Mick

5:39 AM, June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home