Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Love and obedience

Bob at Gratitude and Hoopla has recently written a beautiful post on love and obedience. Here's a sample:
In the 14th chapter of the Gospel of John, we read this: "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

All that talk of love kind of gives me a warm feeling, but did Jesus have to mar the picture with that dreadful word, "obey"? It's certainly not a winsome word. It smacks of legalism, of religious forced marches, of holier-than-thou pulpit thumpers. Yet Jesus, the lover of our souls, connects obedience inexorably with love. Obedience is all about loving.
Bob goes on to talk about how God can transform and renew heart and mind. Good stuff.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The url seems to be pulling a 404 error Milton...I think the one you want is this one

http://fastingrace.blogspot.com/2005/10/love-obedience-revelation.html

7:18 AM, October 11, 2005  
Blogger Ben said...

Yeah, the backslash needs to be a forward slash after .html

Thanks for the link though! I think more Christians would be in much better stead if they recognized that concering the Father there is a direct correlation between love and obedience.

7:37 AM, October 11, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, guys. It should be fixed now. Peace.

9:12 PM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home