Friday, October 07, 2005

A theology of the cross

Although I don't want to take sides in the discussion that prompted the following quote, I do want to pass along this word from The Holy Dog Pound on the state of evangelicalism in the United States:
American evangelicalism is a theology of glory, not of the cross. Americans have largely forgot that the human condition is to suffer. Hence, when any little thing goes wrong, we throw a conniption fit and call our lawyer. Yes, we ought to prepare for evil times - not because of some coming "judgment", but because it is wise. Evil times are the mark of this age, and we have deluded ourselves into thinking otherwise.
And what does the church in the United States need? A theology of the cross.

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Milton, I think that applies to Australia too, there is a real need for a theology of the cross here.

GBYAY

5:58 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I understand. Let's pray we and our fellow Christians develop one in both places. Peace.

6:39 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Kim said...

I have seen this kind of thing in my own sphere. There is a belief that the Christian life is one mountain top experience after another. We forget the suffering that won our victory.

8:49 AM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I know what you mean, Kim. Years ago I went to a couple of Promise Keepers events, and I was amazed at the guys who didn't just attend when it came to their town--they traveled to country hitting one mountain-top PK event after another. Too bad they spent so many weekends away from home and missed the work of slogging through discipleship in the home congregaiton.

2:10 PM, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home