Monday, December 05, 2005

A word on awards

Two sets of blog awards---one popular and one in peril---are underway this month. Voting has begun at Wizbang for the 2005 Weblog Awards. I'm both surprised and honored that this blog has been chosen as one of fifteen finalists for Best Religious Blog (you can vote here).

At the same time the 2006 Evangelical Blog Awards are on the verge of being canceled because not enough nominations have been received. I hope that doesn't happen for two reasons: (1) there are several blogs I plan to nominate, and (2) this year's graphic is cool, and I'd love to have one on this page.

And that thought points to the bigger picture of Christians and blog awards. Fundamentally, our work should be to the glory of God, not ourselves, and the joy of service in the name of Jesus Christ should be sufficient. On the other hand, it's good to be appreciated. In congregational ministry, it's common to hear much more about what we've done wrong than on how much we're appreciated. Whether I get a single vote at Wizbang or am nominated for another award, I'm grateful to those of you who encourage me not only through awards but simply by letting me know that something on this site has been helpful to you.

So I encourage you to nominate your favorite blogs for an EBA, and to encourage one another in every way.

Update: I've nominated about 20 blogs for EBAs. A big problem I have with these kinds of things is that there are a lot more blogs I'd like to nominate than I feel I can get away doing. Also, at Wizbang running vote counts are being shown at the Weblog Awards, and TS is near the bottom. I hope it's not merely sour grapes that in a way I consider that an honor. As I said to my wife last night, "I guess people who read my blog aren't really into awards." And that can be a good thing. To God alone be the glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

You've got my vote!! Keep up the good bloggin'!

4:32 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Vicki!

6:37 PM, December 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home