Monday, January 02, 2006

He reigned how many years?

Claude Mariottini has posted a thought-provoking article on a textual problem with 1 Sam. 13:1 and the substantially different ways English translations render the passage. Consider:
The New International Version (NIV) translates 1 Samuel 13:1 as follows:
Saul was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned over Israel forty-two years.

The New American Standard Bible translates as follows:
Saul was forty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty-two years over Israel.

The New English Bible translates as follows:
Saul was fifty years old when he became king, and he reigned over Israel for twenty-two years.
Which is correct? Read Dr. Mariottini's article and decide for yourself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I'm surprised that it was the first time I've heard of it, too. It may be slightly off-topic, but too interesting to not link. I think the ellipses are the best translation, too. The NASB, which included italics to show that words were added, is also acceptable.

5:07 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Pilgrim feet said...

Go to the Hebrew, my Brethren. Tranlations, or transliterations?

9:22 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger rev-ed said...

Good find, Milton. I can't say I've heard of this issue either. He makes a good point. Although as I look at my NIV, I see that the lack of "30" and "40" are mentioned in the footnotes.

11:00 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for visiting, TCC & RE, and many blessings in blogging!

2:18 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home