Sunday, February 12, 2006

Offline resources for NT exegesis

Last Spring Peter Bogert began a blog discussion by asking preachers to pick their top five books for sermon preparation. This post narrows the question: which five books would you choose for NT exegesis? Here's my list:
  1. An accurate, up-to-date Greek NT. Even if you're not able to read the text without help, it's good to have the best text with variants. I use UBS 4th ed.
  2. A good interlinear NT. Because I can't sit down and read most of the NT in Greek, I like having an interlinear. I use Alfred Marshall's, which also contains parallel translations in English.
  3. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd ed (BDAG). This is the one to have. If anyone knows of a better lexicon, please tell me about it.
  4. The Word: The Bible from 26 Translations. Twenty-six English translations are consulted to offer several different renderings for each phrase in the Bible. This is an amazing resource, especially if used alongside the Greek text.
  5. New American Standard Bible. No matter how many resources I use, it helps to look at the text in the translation I use for preaching.

Those are my choices. Well, preachers, what books are on your list?

4 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

Englishman's Greek Concordance where you can look up every use of a Greek word is great. I don't use this book much, but when I do, I often think, "Hmm, I should use this more often."

8:17 AM, February 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that I am not the only NASB fan left out there. I study and prepare out of it, but my C & C students all carry NIV, and on the NLT, so I teach out of the NIV referenceing the NASB regularly. Yes, I have compromised, but I have found most ministry takes some flexibility.

9:54 AM, February 13, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Jeff, an EGC sounds like an Analytical Concordance. It was originally on my short list, but I took it off because I don't use it often. Wouldn't you know it--today I had reason to use it.

2:00 PM, February 13, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Frank, flexibility I understand. I used the ESV for about four years, but began using the NASB to be using the same version as my wife and two of my children. What I like most about the NASB is that, in the tradition of the KJV, it italicizes words not originally in the Greek text. Sometimes (as in Jn 18:5,6) it matters.

2:03 PM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home