Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Send this to everyone in your address book"

Peter Bogert reflects on forwarded e-mails:
They are often sentimental, occasionally misguided, and - when it comes to Christian things - seem to be more often than not untrue. Sometimes they are several years old, and simply making the latest round by means of someone who recently got email.

There is an assumption that pastors need to read these things. I've hinted to our people that I don't, but occasionally I'll get them anyway. In many cases they are a mixture of Bible and pro-America politics. I am a conservative Republican, but I consider this blend of patriotism and faith to be a hugely misguided distraction to biblical Christianity.
Well said. Peter goes on to offer helpful advice on responding with grace and truth to well-meaning brothers and sisters who perpetuate these kinds of messages. His responses to these kinds of things, by the way, are pretty much the same as mine.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never forward them and if I have time I check "Truth or Fiction" dot com and see if it is an urban legend. If so I send a reply to the person who sent it to me telling them so.

8:53 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Dan McGowan said...

I'm at a place in life where I honestly do not even open those emails... first, usually when they come my way, I've already seen them about a year earlier! LOL... but also, it's just a waste of time - and I struggle as it is with being free from distractions in life - and actually accomplishing things! I don't need another "funny" forwarded email in my email box... now, send this comment of mine to 12 friends or..........

7:03 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

About the only ones I don't open are the ones from obsessive forwarders, and I usually open a representative e-mail or two each week, and always if they've forwarded it to me alone.

I'll have to look up Truth or Fiction. Right now I'm using Snopes.com.

Thanks, IH and Dan, for your thoughts.

10:40 AM, March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home