Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Prayer and preaching

Phil McAlmond writes about the need for prayer in preaching:
When I teach preaching, very often I find that those whom I am training are surprised by how much I stress the need for and the vitalness of a strong and dependent prayer life, even more so than a strong Word life. . . .

What I mean is . . . that if I simply study the Word of God and then simply preach what I have studied, it [is] very possible that what I am preaching is my own message and not the very Word of God for this time, place and congregation. Yes, it may be scripturally accurate exegesis but will it in spirit and truth be what the Lord is saying now, at this moment, to His people?
I've noticed a correlation between the amount of time I spend in prayer and the quality (if I may use such a term) of my preaching. Why then, I wonder, do I sometimes find myself working with too little prayer? I appreciate Phil's reminder.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou Milton, I appreciate this.

Blessings in Christ Jesus!

6:26 AM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Josh Kellar said...

Good point! The sermon is more than just the words from an outline. It is a sacred event where God has the opportunity to speak. If we pray, we allow him the chance to use us and for his Word to be active. Thanks for the post!
~JK

3:02 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Phil and Josh.

9:29 PM, November 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home