Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Lectern or pulpit?

My first preaching job came about when the preacher retired at the small congregation where I had been serving as youth minister. When I first "stepped up" into the pulpit (a lectern, actually), I told the congregation I wasn't really a preacher but a teacher. I suppose at that time in my life I couldn't see myself taking on the responsibility of proclaiming the Gospel.

It didn't take long before I was forced to confront my evasion. A few Sundays later a little girl, about four years old, looked up at me earnestly and asked, "Are you my preacher?" What should I say? How could I explain my thoughts about the priesthood of all believers, the scriptural principles of shared leadership, the anti-clerical views I had developed and honed over the course of more than ten years as a Christian? I looked down into that little girl's upturned face and said, "Yea, I guess I am." For the past ten years I've been working on growing into that affirmation.

Today I cherish the pulpit at least as much as the lectern. I certainly respect one of my favorite bloggers, however, who has a different perspective:

Given the choice between a lectern (or even a really sturdy music stand) in a classroom and a pulpit in a sanctuary, I'll take the lectern every time. I'll also opt for the one-on-one ministry of the Word over sermonizing, too.I think Keith and I agree that the church needs both the public and private ministry of the Word.
Isn't it wonderful that our Father has equipped his various children to do and enjoy each?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark D. Smith said...

Thanks for this post. I appreciate being to read a thoughtful post that is also short enough that I can read it fairly quickly on my way out the door and then think about it on the way home.

4:49 PM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad you liked it, and thanks for the feedback.

5:04 PM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home