Friday, August 10, 2007

Willimon on Luke 12:32-40

At Theolog William Willimon has another insightful post, this time on the upcoming Gospel reading from Luke 12:32-40:

Jesus’ injunction not to be afraid when linked to our money is curious. In last Sunday’s gospel, Jesus warned us against “greed.” Yet I daresay that most of us do not accumulate wealth due to our greed, or even for the fun of it. Our main motivation for our acquisitiveness is fear. It is as if today, in his teachings on wealth, Jesus has at last gotten to the heart of the matter.

The whole essay is worth reading, especially when Dr. Willimon reflects on the image Jesus gave us of God as a thief.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pointer to his post. I have to agree that fear seems so often a first motivator for me in this area. It's evidence that I'm not believing God's good will for me, and that I'd rather be satisfied of my own self-dependence than dependent upon Him. Money is one of the quickest ways to uncover our idolatries!

Thanks again.
Promises Kept

10:05 PM, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, Tom. Glad you found something useful. And thanks for adding TS to your blogroll. PK is on this one now, too. Peace.

3:16 PM, August 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home