Thursday, September 20, 2007

God at work

Mark Lauterbach, reflecting on the words of Eugene Peterson, points out that congregational ministry is more than preaching:
As I read various blogs about ministry, they seem to focus entirely on preaching. The calling of a pastor certainly involves preaching -- and preaching sets the tone and controls the atmosphere of the church. Well fed sheep nourished with well considered messages from the Word of God is crucial. Let us preach well! It is urgent to do so. If this is not done, all else is out of whack. But Peterson reminds me that ministry is more than preaching. . . .

It is hard work to look for God at work in my people -- it is easy to see sin at work. It takes prayer and reflection to see the workings of grace in the lives of people who are absorbed in the daily routines of life.

More than that, it is a work of faith to be a pastor who lives with integrity as a pastor -- to make sure I have folks who care for my soul and care for my ministry so that I am not drawn into a career path or become a therapist or a hypocrite whose life on the inside is not consistent in any way with my words.
Good point. Reading that post, by the way, made me wonder if Dr. Lauterbach reads TS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home