Thursday, November 22, 2007

Holidays and character

Theologically, I suspect this writer and I differ widely, but this is still good stuff:
Many Americans, especially women, are so tired from all the preparations that by the time Christmas arrives, they are completely unable to enjoy it.

Holidays also signal another unique kind of stress: The “oh, my god, we have to spend time with the relatives” variety. Sadly, this time of year is all-too-often rife with anxiety, consternation, and emotional upheaval because folks are expected to spend time with their extended families, as well as a variety of friends, neighbors, acquaintances, business associates, and, last but not least, fellow church-goers.
Too true, especially when we put ourselves under pressure to be jolly. Check out this conclusion:
We can all deepen our enjoyment of the upcoming holiday season if we remember that the purpose of Christianity is not to avoid difficulties with our relatives, in-laws, boss, coworkers, neighbors, fellow parishioners, et al., but to produce a character adequate to meet those difficulties when they come.
Very true, especially if we remember that for Christians, that character is being produced by, for, and in the image of Christ Jesus.

Thanks to BlogWatch for the link. And thanks, most importantly, to our mighty God for his ridiculously overwhelming grace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there: I just discovered your blog when I noted in my stats that you had visited.

We might disagree theologically (I don't know . . . just got here) but I appreciate your kind words about my article.

Hope you checked out our Group Writing Project -- there are some excellent posts there about thankfulness.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

12:05 AM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for visiting, and for the excellent post. I look forward to reading what's available at the Group Writing Project.

9:21 AM, November 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home