Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ouch

John Frye is being provocative again. Consider:
Why doesn’t some Bible publishing company come out with “The Fortune Cookie Bible”?

Many Christians treat the Bible like they do a fortune cookie after a nice Chinese food dinner.

Pithy, little positive sayings that perk up your life and create a little, fun curiosity, that’s what fortune cookies do. And that’s all that many Christians want from their Bibles.

Life is about me, most American Christians conclude, and so the Bible should be about me, too. God is nice, but nice (and disposable) in a fortune cookie kind of way. Maybe his Word will tell me something I really want to hear, and if it doesn’t, I’ll close it up until I want another fortune told.
I'd like somebody to convince me that John is way off target with this one, but I'm afraid there's more truth to his words than most of us would like.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an awesome quote! Thanks for sharing!

4:55 PM, April 22, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, brother. Thanks for commenting.

10:27 AM, April 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed. Then again, maybe we should all be grumpy if all those crummy American Christians have figured out a way to successfully dull and defeat the two-edged sword of Scripture.

9:43 PM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yep. And good to hear from you again, Chris. Hope you're doing well.

8:25 AM, April 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home