Friday, August 06, 2010

Far above all we ask or think

Dave Bish writes about preaching that gives the listener more than he wanted or expected:
When the preacher begins to speak I know what I want; I want instruction, I want inspiration, I want to have the passage taught, I want to be reminded of Christ....

What I should find is that I'm shown the beauty of Christ in a way that my heart never imagined was possible.

And that's what the Holy Spirit delights to do through a preacher, to cast new light upon Christ from his word. To enable me to see with eyes of faith that Christ is more beautiful than I could have imagined.... such preaching would be jaw-dropping, would be eye-widening, would be heart-enflaming. Such preaching does the important task of persuasively showing what the text says and then continue to doing what the text does.
Preachers, is that the kind of proclamation you aspire to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home