Saturday, January 29, 2005

Life outside the pulpit

Brad Hightower sheds light over at 21st Century Reformation on how discipleship in the footsteps of Jesus might look today. While his lessons should resonate with any Christian, I couldn't help thinking as I read about how, for preachers, the way we live out of the pulpit is at least as important as what we say in it.

If anything comes from this series of posts may it be that you and others come to understand that if we desire to make disciples in the footsteps of Jesus, we must begin by allowing people to see our lives. We must first model the desired behavior. Let me say it again. The proper answer to almost all our disciple-making needs is to say “come follow me”. That is the call to discipleship. “Come and learn from me”. This phrase means learn from my example. Certainly there is a place for communication and the use of the abstract but the priority is Observe, Imitate and then Discussion.

Have a look at Brad's whole post.

2 Comments:

Blogger brad said...

I am building up my blogroll. Thanks for the link. I look forward to reading more and communicating more. Are you going to GodBlogCon in Mesa, Ar.
brad

5:49 PM, January 29, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Brad. I'd be honored to be on your blogroll. And yes, I plan to be at GodBlogCon. See you there.

6:02 PM, January 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home