Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Knowing the court room from the family room

Over at Tent Pegs, Patrick Mead offers some valuable insights gleaned from watching his 7-year-old son's baseball team in action. Patrick recounts the story of how proud he was of his son, Duncan, after he scored his team's first run of the season. Duncan scored from second base--by running directly across the pitcher's mound:
No... his team wasn't good. They couldn't catch, hit, or even understand the rules of the game. Duncan couldn't, either, but he was brilliant.... because he was MINE. That made all the difference.

It does in eternal matters, too. Never confuse the family room with the court room. There are huge differences. Too many churches treat people as if they were in a court room where guilt is presumed and innocence must be proven by perfect doctrine and behavior. But God is our Father and we are in His family room. I may be one of the worst excuses for a servant God has ever seen... but I am His. And that means I'm saved -- thoroughly, completely, and totally.

I may not know where all the bases are and what all the rules are, but I'm running home and I know Who will be there to welcome me when I arrive. It may give the devil and some of my brethren an embolism -- but my Father will declare me safe!
Amen.

5 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Nice, I can even hear Patricks accent thru your words....:-)

5:25 PM, April 12, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I should hope; everything in italics is Patrick's words! Thanks for visiting.

7:58 PM, April 12, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad you liked it. I see now why Patrick is so highly regarded in his preaching and teaching. Thanks for stopping by, Your Wryness!

1:27 PM, April 13, 2005  
Blogger shannon said...

Oh, that's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :)

8:01 PM, April 13, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for your kind words. And keep up the good writing at Wind Scraps! Peace.

5:51 AM, April 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home