Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Court jesters and the Kingdom of God

Matt Self has written a wonderful little post on "the importance of comedy relief." He begins by considering Romeo and Juliet's Mercutio:
I've always related to the Mercutios of the world because I see so much emphasis on the serious things of this world as if God were not in control. I love to make people laugh because it distracts them from the sorrow that is our sinful state, and hopefully reminds them how silly this world is.
Silly is right. Matt concludes with this observation:
There is no record of a court jester in the Kingdom of God, but in this world, I'd like to think that is part of my role as servant of man. I do not wish to take your eyes off God, but if they are already averted to an elsewhere gaze, allow me to shake you out of your trance and remind you that you are under no obligation to bear the weight of this world.

Allow me to remind you that you are not God and it's generally in bad form to immitate Him in that manner.
Amen. I don't think the pulpit is the place for cracking jokes, but it is, as just about every other area of life, a good place for good humor.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I don't think the pulpit is the place for cracking jokes, but it is, as just about every other area of life, a good place for good humor.

Wow, that's a cool statement! What an excellent way to put it. My husband and I have often talked about humor from the pulipt, and where to draw the line between generating laughter and courting it.

I am not adept at making people laugh most of the time, but when I do, it's a treat. It's a great way to encourage.

8:40 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Vicki said...

Guess I could use a little humor these days--I do love to laugh. Trying to remember that I do not have to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Thanks for the post! And for visiting my blog recently.

9:51 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yes it is encouraging, Kim. You also put it quite well: "to draw the line between generating laughter and courting it." Well said.

2:13 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, Vicki. Every time I think of you I lift your name to God in prayer. Peace.

2:14 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for visiting, Berrymon. I hope you are encouraged at all times in the Lord!

2:16 PM, January 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff as normal, of course I stole it and linked to it.

Stay strong, be couragous, and serve God JOYOUSLY (new word)in all things.

3:05 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Matthew Self said...

Thanks for the link, Milton. I don't think it's any coincidence that when people quote Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon etc., it is quite often their comments delivered with irony and/or sarcasm. Especially Luther.

Even Paul had a sense of the absurd when he wished a tragic conclusion to the Judaizers and their clumsy knives.

I've often considered the prevalence of irony we find in this world one strong proof of God, because a chaotic, unordered world could not be full of such hilarious coincidences.

8:24 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Matt, C.S. Lewis also considered humor as evidence of God. It's in the first part of Mere Christianity, I think. Peace.

6:33 AM, January 04, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Frank. You can steal my stuff anytime, brother.

6:34 AM, January 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home