Sunday, January 30, 2005

Watering down the Word?

Through the years I've struggled with how best to "package" the gospel to make it attractive to the lost. When I began seminary, "needs-based" ministry was in fashion. Meet the felt needs of the lost--for happy families, good friends, steady financial management--and we'll win them to Christ. By the time I finished school, the trend was less toward giving people want they want and more toward giving them what they need--the Word of God, the gospel of Jesus Christ.

As I See It Now deals with this topic today. Some folks, Debra says, urge Christians not to broadcast their faith:

They tell me to just be nice. Loving. Blend in so that I don't appear different. Talk like everyone else--even swear--that's fine. Don't quote from the Bible. Be a carbon copy buddy and act like the world in order to win them.


Win them to what? A secret club whose goal is to look like everyone else?

Christians are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation. We've been saved from destruction and brought into the very presence of Almighty God as adopted sons and daughters through the blood of Jesus Christ. We've been given a Spirit of peace and joy and power. No matter what we do to get people's attention, Jesus Christ has to be at the center of what we proclaim, and of who we are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Debra said...

Thanks again, Milton, for including part of my post. I appreciate that your posts are always clear and to the point. And I'm honored that you've added me to your blog roll, too. God bless, Debra

7:04 PM, January 31, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Debra. I appreciate your insights into discipleship. Grace and peace.

7:59 PM, January 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home