Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Not driven --- led!

Vicki Gaines doesn't buy the popular idea of expecting God's blessing for really following our hearts:
. . . bookstores are filled with purpose-driven messages on living the life of our dreams. Do what you love and God will bless it. I don't believe that. The word "driven" itself carries red-flag connotations. As a Christian writer, my spirit seeks to be led by Jesus Christ, never driven by anything, especially not my own ideas or dreams. In a world of sensual spirituality, it's easy to be led astray with smooth sounding words. We need firm grounding in biblical truth to spot subtle errors found in many teachings (and quotes) today. Perhaps I digress, but none of this "find your purpose" dribble enables me. Inspirational thoughts are just that, inspirational. There's no power in them.
Too true. What should we be seeking, then?
. . . in my 49 years, I've failed enough to learn that my ways are not His ways. I've been fooled by well-meaning writers who invite us to explore our destiny. There is no purpose or destiny outside the life of Jesus Christ. We can't have life unless we have HIM. . . . So I'd rather cling to Jesus than all the motivational quotes in the world. I'm starting to see how power and enablement come, not through grand human effort, but by His Spirit. I want to work in tandem with His purposes, fueled by His Holy Spirit, but I need to be willing to pull away when all the world beckons. It also means giving up my dreams, my goals, my ambitions. It's a paradox. And it's a hard word: surrender. But in surrendering my agenda, I find His.
Amen (HT: Gratitude & Hoopla).

7 Comments:

Blogger Ddot the King said...

Congrats on the weblog nomination.

2:29 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thank you.

2:45 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Vicki said...

Milton, thank you for your gracious mention of my post here. God bless you. I have so many friends/family caught up in 'good-sounding' stuff, yet their hearts are far from God. I feared some would take the post as criticism, yet God tugs at our heart and we want to be faithful to what He reveals, don't we?

Do pray for the direction of my writing. I thank you for your very good blog and friendship in Christ.

4:29 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're right, Phil. Glad you enjoyed Vicki's writing. Peace.

6:36 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Vicki. Thank you for the excellent post, and I will pray for your writing. Peace.

6:37 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger shannon said...

What an excellent post. I couldn't agree more. I'm irritated, too, by all the talk about "purpose." And I'd much rather be Spirit-led than driven by anything--even "purpose."

Congratulations on your nomination, Milton! I've already gone and voted for you. Hope you win. :)

6:25 PM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Shannon, and I'm glad to see Wind Scraps won a Blogs of Beauty award.

8:36 PM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home