Friday, June 23, 2006

Ready to trash a bunch of your sermons?

Preachers, are you willing to admit that many of your sermons may need to be thrown out? Darryl Dash is doing an insightful blog series on theocentric preaching, and it's very good stuff (HT: SmartChristian). Here's a sampling from Darryl's Theocentric premise three:

My intent in preaching needs to honor the intent of the author - In other words, my sermon's purpose should line up somehow with the intent of the text.

So here's where a lot of sermons will get destroyed. Sorry to do this to you, but it's only fair since a lot of mine have been wrecked too.

Unless I think the intent of the author of Nehemiah was to teach leadership principles, then I need to question whether my sermons on leadership from Nehemiah really line up with the intent of the author. I probably need to throw most of them out.

Yep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home