Thursday, January 05, 2006

Amateurs in knowing God

Lest we become too carried away with loving ourselves, here's a healthy dose of humility from Bob at Gratitude and Hoopla:
Did you know that we Christians are not God-experts? I think it's good to remind ourselves of that from time to time. The Gospel is a wondrous thing, and it truly is a key to understanding the God of all creation, but even to speak of "understanding God" is to venture the slippery slope of pride. You'll remember how God put an end to all that sort of talk in the case of Job and his friends. He addressed them with 62 pertinent questions that they couldn't answer. One gets the impression that he might have gone on asking questions like that forever. Thankfully, Job got the message after #62.
And, as Bob goes on to explain, we're not love or Word-of-God experts, either.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent point-one that should always be kept in mind.

8:19 AM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Jason.

2:49 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Pilgrim feet said...

I'm glad He knows me though. I look forward to meeting myself someday...Up There. I shall know Him for I shall see Him as He IS.

5:10 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yes, isn't that one of the greatest promises from Scripture--that we shall one day know even as we are known. Amen!

7:43 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Mike Murrow said...

man, we really REALLY need to hear this preached.

12:06 AM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Mick Porter said...

This is a great point Milton. I've been sensing this very thing from my current reading of John's gospel - now I just need the time to blog about it :)

4:00 AM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I'd love to hear it, Fletch!

9:12 PM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

John certainly conveyed the mystery of God best of the gospel writers. I look forward to your blogging on John's gospel, Mick.

9:13 PM, January 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home