Monday, January 31, 2005

Thinning out the crowds

I enjoy reminders that our Savior is not simply "Jesus meek and mild." He surprised and offended while he walked in the flesh; if we really pay attention, he'll surprise and offend us today. Michael Spencer at the Boar's Head has a solid take on John 6:41ff, where the rabbi makes the somewhat unconventional assertion that, "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." It's one of those scenes where Jesus thins out the crowds by telling them the hard truth of the Kingdom. Here's Michael's take:

It really helps me to remember that Jesus is all about "offending" us out of any mindset that he is here to do miracles for us, and is always driving us toward a point that Christ is all and Christ is everything. Where everything is dung and Christ is the only food that satisfies. This is a God who doesn't need to be liked. When you are asking for more bread he is thinking up ways to drive you to the wall. It is no wonder the disciples were offended. It is offensive, and it is the only hope for the world. To feed and drink from Christ is the great picture of saving faith that is enacted in communion. The drama comes to the point of "Will I eat the body and blood, given for me? Will I triust? Will I surrender to what God is for me in Christ instead of insist what he must be?"

Exactly.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I really enjoyed this post Milton, and the rest of the stuff about lakeside... it's incredible what is happenning today, I can hardly keep up with it!

Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect-- if that were possible.

God Bless you and yours,
John

11:21 PM, January 31, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

John -- I'm not sure I understand the lakeside reference, but I'm certainly glad to hear you're finding something useful here. Peace.

6:00 AM, February 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home